List of Paris Bridges
1.Pont des Arts
The Pont des Arts got its name from the former name of the Louvre Palace. It was a place where hanging gardens are place and benches are set for walkers and pedestrians. The bridge in 1985 was reconstructed after being severely damage by barges. The new bridge composed of seven steel arches instead of the formerly nine arches that historians and navigational services complained of obstructing the view of the Louvre, the institute and the Ile de la Cité. Today, the footbridge is famous as a meeting place for artists who are inspired by the grandeur and magnificence of the Louvre Palace.
The historical footbridge, designed by engineers RESAL, ALBY and LION, by order of General Commissioner, Alfred Picard created in order to allow the joining of the military and the navy on the 1900 Exposition. The footbridge called with many names, including Military Exposition, Magdeburg, or even de Billy footbridge but later on, renamed to Passerelle Debilly after it was relocated opposite the Rue de la Manutention. The footbridge was given a facelift when it was repainted in 1991 and in 1997; plating was resurfaced by using tropical hardwoods, as material. The total length of the metal footbridge is 120mm with three spans on piers and the central span comprising an arc with intermediary deck of 75m.
3.Passerelle Senghor (ex- Passerelle Solférino)
Opened to the public in 1861, the Passerelle Senghor was inaugurated by Napoleon III to serve between Quai Anatole France and Quai des Tuileries. It then been demolished in 1960 because the foundation was weakened due to its long usage and a temporary footbridge was put up until 1992 when the footbridge was then made permanent. Passerelle Senghor is a symbol of the continuity of the Seine river crossings, the central part serves as a meeting place for people and tourist alike with benches for sitting. Tourist can enjoy the view of the sky and at the same time can go from the Orsay Museum to the Tuileries Gardens, which the Passerelle Senghor footbridge connects.
The Petit Pont standing today is not the original structure on the site. The first structure built in 1185 and consists of stone piers; swept by the floods and rebuilt later on during the time of King Charles VI. After the completion of the structure, the bridge was ruined again by floodwaters. In the 17th century after the rebuilding of the bridge, a fire occurred that destroyed the bridge also destroyed the houses near it. It was rebuilt in 1850, now, as a smaller structure with a span of 31m, of which up to today, the bridge is still in use.
5. Pont Alexandre III
The Point Alexandre III Bridge is the grandest of all the bridges in Paris and livens up to the reputation of the City. The bridge is constructed lower than other bridges as not to obstruct the view of Champs-Elysées and les Invalides. The first stone was laid by the Tsar Nicholas II and was opened during the 1900 Universal Exhibition. The bridge is listed as one of the historical monument and has four 17-metre high corner pillars, which bears the four gilded bronze equestrian groups, which represent Pegasus. The exhibition bridge also has other displays on it like the Nymphs, the four fames and candelabra surrounded by cupids and sea monsters.
Designed by DEPAQUIT, ROUSSELIN, DAMBER et HERZOG, the Pont Amont is the first when it comes to the list of the bridges in Paris the total length of which is 270m. The upstream part of the bridge carries the water from Boulevard Périphérique across the Seine in the East of the Capital. The downstream part of the bridge is the longest bridge in Paris. The bridge started construction in 1967 and was finished in the year 1969, which was then strictly devoted to traffic. The bridge with four spans made from pre-stressed concrete and built by successively cantilevering of prefabricated segments.
7.Pont de l’Alma
Under the design of A.ARSAC and M.DOUGNAC and direction of J.F. COSNE and Ch.BLAN, the Pont de l’Alma was first built under the leadership of Napoleon III in commemoration of his victory in Crimea in 1854. The bridge was also built to help stimulate and increase the traffic towards the first Universal Exposition in Paris. George Diébolt’s famous Zouave was used together with other stone structures to decorate the bridge. In May 1970, the bridge underwent a series of renovation due to the narrowing of the bridge and the Zouave was place on the sole pier in the area while other decorative stone structures were relocated around the country.
8.Pont de l’Archevêché
Under the supervision of the engineer PLOUARD, the Pont de l’Archevêché was developed in record time between April and November 1828. In order to improved traffic congestion, the government reconstructed the bridge in 1910 rising from 11 to 2m in width. The government later on widened the bridge and replaced the cast iron parapet with a stronger one, when a bus accident occurred that resulted in the death of 11 people and nine injured. The bridge total length is 67.20 metres with three arches. The bridge name came from Archbishop’s Palace in Notre Dame, which is no longer in existence to this date.
The name “Pont d’Arcole” said to have come from the place where the victory of Napoleon Bonaparte in Arcole over the Austrian in 1796 happened. The bridge, which serves, as a traffic bridge links the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville and the Ile de la Cité and is a suspended bridge resting on the Seine’s central. Pont d’Arcole also commemorates the first time that the members of Leclerc’s 2nd armoured division reached the Place de L’Hôtel de Ville after Paris was liberated in August 1944. The total length of the bridge is 80m with four angular keystones at the ends of the bridges that serves as a decoration.
Under the engineer BECQUEY de BEAUPRE, the Pont d’Austerlitz was constructed with a length of 174 m and its width 13 m. In 1854, the bridge was reconstructed after years of usage leaving the bridge damage, under the engineers MICHAL and SAVARIN, the width was extended to 18 m and the piers was reinforced. However, under the supervision of GUIARD, the bridge was then reinforced to meet the demands of the day with new vaults being aligned with the old ones. Tourist would find on the tympana a crowned imperial N surrounded by laurels that is visible at each pier.
The Pont Aval was first constructed in 1964 under the contractor CAMPENON-BERNARD and using the designs of LUC ARSENE and was finished after four years in 1968. The bridge spans a total length of 312.50m with four spans of 71.50 m, 81.50 m, 92 m and 67.50 m and the bridge uses pre-stressed concrete built by successive cantilevering of prefabricated segments to strengthen it. One can see the downstream bridge carrying the boulevard Périphérique ring road cross the Seine to the west of the capital. One can reach the bridge through the Quai d’Issy les Moulineaux and the Quai Saint-Exupéry.
12.Pont de Bercy
The first bridge in Bercy was located outside of Paris and has a toll fee for anyone using it. King Louis-Philippe opened the bridge in 1832 to the public with a span of 44m. The arch tympana are decorated with wreath and were constructed under engineer FELINE-ROMANY. Traffic in the bridge was monitored due to the loading capacity of the suspended bridge and it was in 1904 that a widening program was conducted to allow the Metropolitan train viaduct to pass through. In 1991, the Pont de Bercy was again reconstructed under the contractor Quillery-T.P. the bridge look the same on the outside but the inside was reinforced with concreted to increase the load capability of the bridge.
13.Pont de Bir-Hakeim
Also called as “Passy footbridge” or “Passy viaduct” until 1948, the Pont de Bir-Hakeim is a product of a competition held by Metropolitan railway and Seine Navigation departments to produce a bridge that has two purposes – to serve as a railway and as a road. Louis BIETTE won the project and together with contractors DAYDE and PILLE, they set up to construct the bridge. Formige, a municipal architect who hired three sculptors to design and decorate the bridge, handles decorations for the bridge. Elegant pillars where designed for the bridge but later on disappeared after a reconstruction was done to reinforce the structure. The bridge was renamed after General Koenig after winning the fight over the Rommel in the Libyan Desert.
14.Pont du Carrousel
Spanning to a total length of 168m, the Pont du Carrousel was also called several names like “Pont des Saint-Pères” (the name of the street where it is located) and “Pont du Louvre” (because the right bank reaches the Louvre Palace.) King Louis-Philippe gave the present name of the bridge in 1834. Engineer POLONCEAU made the structure super lightweight with construction materials made of wooden decks and cast irons. In 1935, the bridge was reconstructed under the engineers MALET and LANG, reinforcing the bridge and aligning it with the entrance towards the Louvre. The statutes made by sculptor PETITOT was removed but was later on reinstalled in 1908.
15.Pont au Change
In 1441, King Louis VII ordered all the moneychangers and gold smith to move to Pont au Change, thus the name of the place from “Grand-Pont” to “Pont au Change”. In 1621, a fire broke out destroying the whole place. The merchants ask the King if they can rebuild it, even to the extent of funding it themselves. A royal edict was approved and the King contributed to the rebuilding of the site. Between the 1639 and 1647, the bridge was built with seven stone arches including six in the Seine. In 1858, the bridge was rebuilt again as it was no longer in alignment and opened to the public in 1860.
16.Pont Charles de Gaulle
The new bridge, Pont Charles de Gaulle, is situated approximately one kilometre apart from Pont d’Austerlitz (Austerlitz Bridge) and the Pont de Bercy (Bercy Bridge) and is used to help improved the traffic between the Bercy and the Left Bank of Paris and between Lyon and Austerlitz stations. The bridge, designed by Louis Arretche and Roman Karasinski is in harmony with the surrounding area of the place. The structure s made from steel decking resembling a plane’s wing. The work began in 1993 and finished in 1996. The total length of the bridge is 207.75m and the surface is made of pre-stressed concrete.
17.Pont de la Concorde
Using the stone recovered from Bastille, engineer Jean-Rodolphe Perronet, built the Pont dela Concorde. Many rulers enjoyed decorating the place and naming it accordingly. The bridge’s name changes with the events happening from Pont Louis XVI (Louis XVI Bridge), Revolution, Concorde, then Louis XVI again at the Restoration, and finally Concorde as from 1830. Napoleon decorated the bridge with his eight generals who died during the war, whereas, the restoration period saw the replacement of the statutes into four great Ministers (Colbert, Richelieu, Suger, Sully), four soldiers (Bayard, Condé, Du Guesclin, Turenne), four sailors (Dugay-Trouin, Duquesne, Suffren, Tourville). The statutes where eventually placed in Versailles as they are heavy and burdened the bridge.
18.Pont au Double
The Pont au Double was built in order to link the buildings of the Hospital during 1626. The architect Gamard, designed the two arched bridge and though it is not a real bridge, two thirds of the bridge was open to the public with a payment of double farthing. At the base of the bridge, a staircase use by nurses who washes clothes and does laundry for the infirmary. Controversy also surrounds the bridge as the hospital used it to throw their waste directly to the Seine without consideration for the health and sanitation of the residents around it. In 1882, the bridge was completely rebuilt using cast irons with a single arc.
19.Pont du Garigliano
Named in honor of General Juin victory in Italy in 1944, Pont du Garigliano was formerly called Point-du-Jour viaduct. The bridge, was first built in 1863, and named as Auteuil Viaduct, that comprises a stone road bridge and topped by a stone viaduct, which is intended for the railway. The war damage heavily the viaduct and it was the only Parisian bridge that was bombed during the war. In 1962, the viaduct was demolished and under the team of PILON, COSTE and MUZAS, a new structure was built spanning a total length of 209m. The bridge was renamed to its present name Pont du Garigliano
20.Pont de Grenelle
Built in 1827, Malet who uses woods to structure the bridge. However, with the stress of the parade for the Shah of Persia, the bridge began to collapse and was rebuilt in 1875 under engineers Vaudrey and Pesson using for the first time the instruments invented by Vaudrey which records vibration and loading tests. In the universal exposition of 1938, the bronze statue of Bartholdi’s Statue of Liberty, which separates the bridge symmetrically, was rearranged. In 1961, the government decided to renovate the bridge as it shows signs of corrosion and wear and under the directives of engineers Thenault, Grattesat and Pilon the bridge were rebuilt.
The bridge, supposed to be called Pont du Champ de Mars” or the “Pont de l’Ecole Militaire by Napoleon I was change to its present name after he won the battle in Warsaw. The project was entrusted to Jacques Dillon, designer of the Pont des Arts and then, on his death, to Lamande, who had designed the Pont d’Austerlitz. The bridge used to be decorated with the imperial eagle but was removed after the empire fell. The design was replace with the letter “L” in response to Louis XVII intervention with the planned of destroying the bridge. In 1830, together with the return of the ashes of the emperor, four sculptures were installed on the bridge.
22.Pont des Invalides
In 1824, under a royal order, engineer Claude Navier was given the authority to build a single span suspension bridge, however, when part of the chain broke, the bridge was demolished. In 1829, in response to the people’s wishes, the government commissioned engineers Verges and Bayard de La Vingtrie to designed a new bridge that is positioned in the west side of the city. The bridge showed signs of wear in 1850 and access have to be restricted. In 1854, in response to the universal exhibition, a new bridge was constructed made of stones and under the cares of Lagalisserie and Savarin .
23.Pont Louis Philippe
In 1833, together with the building of the Rue du Pont-Louis-Philippe, the bridge was built (not in the place where it was presently located today) and crosses the Seine diagonally to the Quai aux Fleurs and touches the tip of the Ile Saint-Louis, where it had a support tower in the form of a triumphal arch. During the French revolution a fire broke out that damage the southern part of the bridge, the bridge was later on renamed “Pont de la Réforme” until 1852. In 1860, work began in renovating the bridge and it was opened in 1862 to the public. Since then, only minor changes occurs including the replacement of the stone parapet in 1995.
The Pont Marie is one of the three bridges that is use to open up the le Saint-Louis, and in 1605 Christophe Marie proposed the construction of the bridge. Controversies surrounded the building of the bridge with the canons and the owners of the island disagreeing with the houses being built in the bridge. In 1658, due to the dissension and the state of disrepair of the bridge, a flood destroyed the bridge together with the houses built on it claiming sixty people in its midst. In 1660, a wooden bridge was put up with a toll to finance the rebuilding of the bridge. The bridge was completed and houses where eventually removed from the bridge in memory of what happened in 1658.
Constructed in 1893 by the engineer Résal, the engineer who also built Alexander III Bridge and the Debilly footbridge, the bridge has three beautiful steel arches, parapets that give it an old-fashioned charm and four plump statues stand astride the prows of boats that form the cutwaters of the piers. A. Injalbert designs the four-sea deities for which one of them holds the trumpet of Fame to its mouth. Up to today, little has been change on the bridge. The bridge is also famous from a poem made by Apollinaire who wrote “Pont Mirabeau” (Mirabeau Bridge). The bridge spans 20m in width.
Pont National was a bridge designed by the engineers Couche and Petit to provide a passage for the “Petite Ceinture” railway and was built during the Second Empire. The bridge spans a total of 188.50 m long and comprises of five stone arches on piles. In 1936, the bridge was widen in response to the heavy traffic and in combat of unemployment. The bridge project was completed under the cares of engineers Netter and Gaspard. In 1944, the total width of the Pont National width increases to 34m the bearing capacity of the bridge was also strengthen due to the additional three concrete arches.
The Pont Neuf, as the word describes is the first modern bridge of Paris and the most famous with landmarks that displayed the grandiosity of the middle Ages. The bridge linked the Louvre, the Abbaye de Saint-Germain (Saint-Germain Abbey) and the Left Bank in royal times. The bridge was built in 1603 under the rule of Henri III but was opened to the public by Henri IV. A famous saying goes that that one would surely meet “a monk, a white horse and a street walker” here, as the bridge became a popular site for the masses who seeks sophistication and vulgar pleasures in the capital.
28.Pont Notre Dame
The Pont Notre-Dame nicknamed also as “Devil’s Bridge” with 35-recorded accidents happening on the place. Built in the oldest historical crossing point on the Seine, the bridge was also called Grand Pont and during the Norman invasion was called “Planches de Mibray”. In 1660, the bridge was then renovated in honour of the Queen Marie-Thérèse of Austria, wife of Louis XIV, and for which the bridge lasted from the 16th to the 17th century. The bridge was reconstructed in 1910 and the three middle arches were replaced by one metal arc. The President of the Republic, Raymond Poincaré inaugurated it in 1919.
The Pont Royal is considered as one of the three oldest bridges in Paris and has been included in the list of the historical monument. In 1632, a wooden bridge was first constructed in its placed and was named Saint Anne but was nicknamed as Pont Rouge (Red Bridge) because of the colour. The bridge was torn down and in it the Pont Royal was put up, financed entirely by Louis XIV. The bridge was used by Napoleon in 1792 to 1804 as a line of defence of the Tuileries where the Convention and the Comité de Salut Public used to sit.
30.Pont Saint Louis
In 1630, the first wooden bridge, called the Saint-Landry bridge was built in the place where Pont Saint Louis now stands. The bridge collapse after three processions in 1634 and was replaced in 1656 by a nine-arched bridge that was demolished due to the damage it received from the flooding. In 1804, under the supervision of the engineer, Dumoustier, a two-arc bridge was built mainly of copper plates, tar and oak. It was demolished in 1811 when part of the footbridge collapse. A series of reconstruction was made until a design was chosen in 1968 where the bridge was reinforced with concrete slabs.
31. Pont de Tolbiac
The Pont de Tolbiac was built in response to the need for a bridge that will act as an intermediary for the two banks of Seine. The municipality chose the work of engineers Bernard and Perouse instead of that of Gustave Eiffel. The work was completed in 1882 and since then remained much the same except for the crashing of an English airplane in 1943. The bridge spans a total length of 168m and is made of stone as its main material with five elliptical arches ranging from 29 m, 32 m, 35 m, 32 m and 29 m span.
32.Pont de la Tournelle
The first bridge named “Fust de l’île Notre-Dame” was built in 1370 and was destroyed by the river, the second bridge was also destroyed by ice. The first Tournelle Bridge, with six stone arches survived until 1910 where it has to be demolished after it was damage heavily by floodwaters. Pierre and Louis Guidetti who uses the dissymmetry of the river to create the right foundation, constructed the present bridge. A 5.30 m high statue of Saint Genevieve, the work of the sculptor Paul Landowski stands at the summit of the bridge and the Pont de la Tournelle dressed with quarried stone.
33.Pont Saint Michel
Called Pont-Neuf or Neuf-Pont, or even Pont Saint-Michel, the bridge was completed in 1387 under the reign of Charles VI. The bridge was damaged during the thawing period in 1404. In 1547, the bridge yet again suffered heavy damage when boats struck the bridge causing it to collapse and killing 17 people. In 1618, a new bridge made of stone was built in its place. The bridge was decorated with bronze equestrian statue of Louis XIII, while niches on either side are decorated with a Saint Michael and a Virgin Mary. The bridge is the last one that contained houses on it but was later on demolished in 1808. The last bridge was made in 1857; it was decorated with medallions containing the letter “N.”
The Pont Sully was the design of engineers Vaudrey and Brosselin during the Second Empire; it was named after the Duke of Sully, which is the Minister of Henri IV during the time. The bridge has a two stand alone metal bridges that stand on the tip of the île Saint-Louis. The foundation was built on stone works that are protected by the cofferdams. The bridge, over the big arms of the site, has three arches made of cast irons making the bridge stronger. Whereas, the bridge over the small branch is made of cast iron with two 15m masonry arches.
35.Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir (Simone de Beauvoir footbridge)
Located between Pont de Bercy and Pont de Tolbiac, the Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir (Simone de Beauvoir footbridge) is the 37th bridge of Paris. In the centre of the bridge is the eye that contains 550 tonnes of steel and is set aside for activities. The bridge connects the Quai François Mauriac with Quai de Bercy. It also gives easy access to the Parc de Bercy on the right bank of the Seine and to the piazza of the François Mitterrand site of the French national library or BNF (Bibliothèque nationale de France) on the left bank. Eiffel built the eye shaped module in his plant in Lauterbourg.